Monday, May 17, 2021

New Truck for my SOON TO BE Camp Rig

 MY "NEW" TRUCK THAT WILL SOON BECOME MY ULTIMATE FLATBED CAMP RIG


As retirement looms less than a year away, I figured that it was time to start putting the plans for my ultimate camp rig into play.  I bought this 2004, Dodge Ram 2500, 5.9 ltr. diesel truck and it is in EXCELLENT condition.  

Over the course of the next year, I plan to start purchasing all of the materials I'll need to start building it out, so that I'll have everything ready by the time I retire.

I'm going to attempt to build the entire camper myself and it'll be a big undertaking, but hey, I'll have plenty of time to devote to it...right?

I plan to build a flatbed, hard-sided cabover camper with an all aluminum frame and aluminum skin.  Imagine a popped up FWC Flatbed that's hard-sided...   

Here's what I'm planning so far:

- Aluminess aluminum winch bumper with brush guard (on order);

- 12,000 lb. winch w/synthetic rope (probably Smittybilt)

- Hillsboro aluminum flatbed (on order);

- 1 1/2 inch square tubing aluminum frame with aluminum skin (attached with rivets and VHB tape and insulated with foam panels;

- Artic Tern-style European windows and door;

- Marine grade roof/escape hatch (will also allow roof access to clean and maintain solar panels);

- 450 watts of Renogy solar panels charging two Battle Born lithium batteries with inverter, charger, controller, etc;

- 60-70 liter two compartment DC compressor fridge/freezer combo (probably Iceco);

- Maxxair powered fan;

- Flush mounted sink and two burner propane stove;

- Queen-sized bed on the cabover with under the bed storage;

- Chinese diesel heater;

- Simple Porta-Potty stored in a lower cabinet;

- Dimmable LED pot lights throughout the interior;

- Gravity fed water from several Jerry Cans stored in a rack inside (I don't want to deal with plumbing, pumps, flushing and freezing issues);

- Rear dinette (can turn into a second bed) with under the seat storage;

- Lightweight, bin-style storage throughout;

- Two outer storage/tool boxes mounted under the flatbed;

- Stirrup-type stairs mounted to the flatbed rail;

- Two knockoff MaxTrax recovery tracks mounted on the rear;

- Receiver hitch & bike rack for two ebikes (with solar charging pigtail);

- Two Jerry Cans mounted on the rear of the camper;

- A low-mounted awning on the driver's side of the camper; 

- Some sort of wrap or large decal applied to the camper's exterior; 

- Etc...


Hopefully, there won't be more fuel, lumber, aluminum, materials and shipping shortages that have become all too common this last year.

I plan to start a build thread on this blog when I start putting it all together and I welcome any suggestions from the more experienced of you out there on the dirt roads...

2 comments:

  1. What a brave person you are, Mr. Groovy! We are anxious to watch your project evolve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julie & Monty, nice to hear from you. I haven't been as active on WTW as I'd like to be, but I plan to change that this year.

    I hope all is well with you all and hope to meet up with you both on the trail one of these days soon.

    I plan to start my camper build next June (when I retire) and in the meantime, I'm going to try and order most of the stuff to have on hand so that I can start as soon as I pull the plug. I just need something bigger because I want to spend a lot of time on longer trips after I'm no longer working every day. With some robust solar and a fridge, I can stay a Saline until they kick me out!

    Take care,
    Shane

    ReplyDelete