Saturday, September 19, 2026

Motorcycling Around Mt. Fuji, JAPAN

 

Motorcycling Around Mt. Fuji, JAPAN

April 19-26, 2026




     One day I'm on my computer when I get a "new email" notification and it's from Abigail, whom I first met on a motorcycle trip in Alaska and cycled with her briefly in Scotland.  It seemed that she and some of her Canadian friends were planning a motorcycle trip around Mt. Fuji in Japan and she wanted to know if I was interested.  Japan has long been on my wish list for travel destinations and what better way to experience it than with good friends AND from the seat of a motorcycle.  I immediately said YES!

     We booked the tour through Moto Tours Japan, which turned out to be an absolutely awesome company.  Our tour dates were 04-19-2026 thru 04-26-2026, but we'd be arriving a few days early to check out Tokyo.




A Pre-Trip Walkabout in Tokyo


Just landed and almost immediately came across a ramen stand.

                   

I had to add one of my stickers to the mix                                                                        

A bar where you can drink with adult film stars?                                                                     

Various photos from the Shinjuku area of Tokyo





It wouldn't be a trip to Japan without showcasing their amazing toilets.








      






The Motorcycle Trip Begins

724 Miles



I specifically rented a Honda Transalp 750 because that was the
bike I wanted to buy once I got back home.  It was an awesome bike.


DAY ONE: Tokyo to Oshino Hakkai to Gora

DAY ONE: Rode from Tokyo, through the very busy and confusing freeways for most of 
the day until finally reaching the more rural parts of the area.  We made our way to Hakkai-Gora
and later Hakone, stopping a master woodworker's shop and for the obligatory cuppa coffee.

After leaving Tokyo, the roads became super twisty with very steep switchbacks, but we
finally made it to out hotel, complete with onsen (hot spring) and a nice group dinner.









DAY TWO: Hakone to Owakudani-Nishi Izu

We got off to a very wet start, as it was rainy, foggy and cold.  Plus, we were to head up and
over a mountain today, where the conditions would get even worse.

We took a gondola ride to the summit of a mountain, where we were promised stunning
views of Mt. Fuji, but Mother Nature had other plans and once we were on top, all we
could see was fog.



Coming down the mountain, we almost had to pull over because the fog was so thick.  It
made for very slow going in the cold and wet weather.



The cold weather made the coffee break all the better.



We were then taken to an "eel only" restaurant and the food was incredible.






Toward the end of the day, we stopped to tour the wasabi field and were even taken 
to a place where we made our own wasabi pickles.  Unfortunately, they forgot to
pack our jars so we were never able to taste our creations.



Here's the lobby of the hotel for the night, where the beer and wine were free and bottomless.
They even had an automatic beer dispenser that even tilted the cup for a nice pour.  It would 
level the glass out when it was almost full to get the perfect head.  Amazing!


Just look at the view from my room!

We stayed in very traditional Japanese rooms called ryokan.  That evening, while we had dinner, they came in a set up traditional futons on the floor and believe it or not, they were
super comfortable.


 

The onsens were incredible and very welcome after our long cold ride today.




The large buffet was also incredible.  It had every conceivable Japanese food you could
think of and I was amazed at how many Japanese people there were here that were dressed
in traditional Japanese kimonos and sandals.



DAY THREE: Nishi Izu to Nagano

Lots of miles today on twisty roads with lots of views of Mt. Fuji.  







We stopped in Numazu, where we were treated to some incredible sashimi. 
Lucky for me, Brian, who was seated next to me, didn't like raw fish, so Raj
and I very gladly took his portion.


We had time to walk around the Numazu Market and it was
incredibly interesting.


















We were taken to a very traditional Japanese restaurant with very traditional food.  As
wonderful as Japanese food can be, none of us like the food this evening.  It was
beautifully presented and I'm sure that if you were born here that it would be a 
delicacy, but it was a little "loud on the tongue" for westerners.






Our hotel for the night was nice and comfortable, but the view outside my window
of the power infrastructure was not as nice as the gorgeous ocean view I
had enjoyed on the previous evening.



DAY FOUR: Nagano to Kusatsu

This started off being a very nice day.  We had another incredible
breakfast at our hotel and then made out way to tour a castle the was very 
impressive, but the weather took a turn and 







I didn't take as many photos today as I would have like to, but the weather was
miserable and cold and we had to ride a lot of miles in it.  It poured rain from
about noon on and again we had to go over a large mountain to get to our
destination.  

The temps on the mountain were around 33° F and felt much colder
with the wind chill of riding.  By the time we stopped for lunch, we were
frozen to the bone and those who didn't have proper rain gear were also wet.

Luckily, the lunch spot had these huge heaters going and we were able to
drape some of our gear over them and dry our stuff out a little bit. 

All of our misery was worth it though because once we landed at the hotel, 
we were able to get dry and warm and this hotel had the best onsens of the trip.
There were many tubs, both indoor and out that all varied in temperature, so  
you could find the perfect tub for you.

The hotel buffet was also outstanding and the largest variety of everything you
could think of.  They even had a huge bowl of pine nuts on the salad and
dessert bars.




DAY FIVE: Kusatsu to Akagi to Nikko to Kinugawa


After breakfast, we boarded a bus to Kusatsu, which holds a special place in my
heart.  A while back I saw a video of a guy who traveled here and spoke of an
entire hot spring village in the mountains of Japan.  Once I saw the main
springs that are in the center of town, I knew this was the same place.  Honestly,
when I saw the video I never really thought I'd ever get to see the place in person, 
yet here I was.  Unfortunately, we were only able to spend about an hour here.














We then mounted up and started our ride for the day.  We stopped at a little town
that felt almost deserted.  We had a so-so lunch and then got back on the road.


The weather and the roads today were absolutely perfect.  We checked in to a hotel
that was part of the Marriott chain, so it didn't have any of the Japanese charm
that we had become used to, but it was nice, clean and comfortable.



We enjoyed a little happy hour before heading to an adjacent restaurant that, like
lunch, was only so-so.


We had a great group of riders on this trip.  They came from Korea, Greece, Indonesia,
the Philippines, Switzerland, Canada and good ole America.






DAY SIX: Kinugawa to Nikko to Tokyo

We headed out this morning to Nikko Toshogu, which is a beautiful temple and
the final resting place for the Shogun Tokugawa Yeyasu









The waters here are said to have healing properties





Above right is the headstone of Shogun Tokugawa Yeyasu.







After the temple, we made our way to the Honda museum, which has a sample of
every item Honda has made from small little devices all the way up to
business jets.  It's also amazing that we were told that every item in the museum
is kept in working order--something truly Japanese.

There were way too many items to photograph, but her is a small sample.

















After the museum, we hit what was mostly freeway back in to Tokyo and amazingly
no one got lost.  We made it back to the hotel where everything started, but the
fun wasn't over yet.  The tour operators were throwing us an "after ride" party at
another traditional Japanese restaurant and believe me when I say, the beer, wine
and cocktails flowed freely all evening. 





Our cab to the restaurant.  I couldn't believe the driver had four different navigational
screens going at once.  The Japanese people truly embrace technology and without it, 
we would have had a much harder time of it.



And so, it's a wrap.  Another incredible trip under my belt and after traveling this
beautiful country, I know I'll be back to explore other areas from Hokkaido to 
Hiroshima.  My goal is to visit her again with my son and daughter so I can also
get to see it through their eyes.

Shout out to Moto Tours of Japan for making this such a remarkable trip.  I can't
recommend them highly enough.

Also, I want to give a big thank you to all of my riding companions for making
this trip as incredible as it was.  We may never see each other again, but I will
forever have the fondest memories of meeting and riding with you all.






























































No comments:

Post a Comment