Sunday, August 14, 2016

Building a Smaller Dinette Table for my Bobcat

I rarely use the dinette table in my Bobcat and I recently realized why.  The original dinette table I built was too big and bulky and I had to completely remove it before my rollover chair would go in the down position.  I had been wanting to re-do it, but I knew it'd take some time.  With nothing to do over the weekend, I decided to tackle it and get it done once and for all.



I scaled it down from this...




To this.






I removed the existing table bracket and... 





I re-configured it from a side mount to a base mount. 



I got it all cleaned up and painted...





Then I fit some vintage "Boomerang" Formica (leftover from my camper build) to the top.






 Oh, the joy of working with sticky, messy contact cement...






 After the Formica was mounted, I put an aluminum edge band around it.  This time, I let
a bit of the edge band stand a little proud of the table surface (like they have in ships)
to keep things from rolling/sliding off when it's not level.





I mounted the hardware from the old table to my new one and painted the bottom.




Then, I mounted it all up and it works beautifully.









With this new design, I can easily fold it up and swing it out of the way
when it's not in use.


I know it's a small table, but there are plenty of other flat surfaces within
arms reach on which I can place other things.

2 comments:

  1. Impressive project. Nice shop!

    FYI, I've added your blog to my "Similar Interesting Blogs" list on my blog.

    ReplyDelete